Backup camera for Africa

Started Apr 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ryan2007
ryan2007 Forum Pro • Posts: 12,001
Re: Backup camera for Africa

mfouks wrote:

Thanks.  I actually used a GH1 before switching to another system.  I did like that camera but I want to have a backup Nikon camera.  I don't actually have a problem with the weight of the D800- its just the really heavy lenses  like the 300 f2.8 that I might have trouble with and taking all of the equipment to Africa due to carry on weight restrictions.  I'm pretty sure I will go for a 7100 or D600 as a backup camera.

I do have a NEX 7 as well which I was planning on taking as well for a third camera.  I just need to get a good lens for it- for wide angle shots.  The Nikon systems would handle 90% of the shots.

Marsha

I'm looking forward to the 150 2.8 that Panasonic has in the works, it will be that 300 2.8 equivalent.

ryan2007 wrote:

mfouks wrote:

I am going on a photo safari in African (Kenya)  in September and I was thinking that I would get an additional backup camera.  I am currently using a D800.  My telephoto lens at the moment is a 70-200 f2.8 with a 2X extender.   My first question is what would make sense as a second camera?  I was thinking that the D7200 would be a good choice but perhaps a D600 would be better (assuming no dust issues).  I believe both are about the same size/weight.

My second issue which I will also post on the lens forum is what telephoto lens to either invest in or rent.  I am looking for something not too heavy (will be using beanbags not a  tripod) as I am very concerned about holding and travelling with a heavy lens although I guess the beanbags will help.  So I am considering the 300 f2.8 lens or the new 80-400 lens that has just come out.  I have rented the 300 f2.8 for another trip and found it to be about as heavy as I can handle.  I also used the 1.4 and the 2X teleconverter with it.  Am I correct that the image quality will be much better using the 300 2.8 lens with teleconverters  as opposed to the new 80-400 lens?  I was thinking that one camera would be used with the 70-200 and the other would be used with the longer lens.

Any comments/ideas would be very much appreciated.

Marsha

Traveling light could mean going DX.  It could mean going to a different system and micro four thirds is worth it. Look at the Panasonic GH-3 or a rangefinder style.

next completely different for stills not so much for video is the Fuji x100s, X20, XE, Xpro

the Xpro, XE and even Nikon A have a large sensor.  You can go to B&H photos site and search point and shoot and arrange the list for cost high to low.  I think the Sony is a $2000, p&s.

If your shooting lots of action a DSLR is the best solution.  For everything else these are good options and you will like the lighter load.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow