Backup camera for Africa

Started Apr 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,677Gear list
Like?
Re: Backup camera for Africa
In reply to mfouks, Apr 14, 2013

mfouks wrote:

Thanks.  I actually used a GH1 before switching to another system.  I did like that camera but I want to have a backup Nikon camera.  I don't actually have a problem with the weight of the D800- its just the really heavy lenses  like the 300 f2.8 that I might have trouble with and taking all of the equipment to Africa due to carry on weight restrictions.  I'm pretty sure I will go for a 7100 or D600 as a backup camera.

I do have a NEX 7 as well which I was planning on taking as well for a third camera.  I just need to get a good lens for it- for wide angle shots.  The Nikon systems would handle 90% of the shots.

Marsha

I'm looking forward to the 150 2.8 that Panasonic has in the works, it will be that 300 2.8 equivalent.

ryan2007 wrote:

mfouks wrote:

I am going on a photo safari in African (Kenya)  in September and I was thinking that I would get an additional backup camera.  I am currently using a D800.  My telephoto lens at the moment is a 70-200 f2.8 with a 2X extender.   My first question is what would make sense as a second camera?  I was thinking that the D7200 would be a good choice but perhaps a D600 would be better (assuming no dust issues).  I believe both are about the same size/weight.

My second issue which I will also post on the lens forum is what telephoto lens to either invest in or rent.  I am looking for something not too heavy (will be using beanbags not a  tripod) as I am very concerned about holding and travelling with a heavy lens although I guess the beanbags will help.  So I am considering the 300 f2.8 lens or the new 80-400 lens that has just come out.  I have rented the 300 f2.8 for another trip and found it to be about as heavy as I can handle.  I also used the 1.4 and the 2X teleconverter with it.  Am I correct that the image quality will be much better using the 300 2.8 lens with teleconverters  as opposed to the new 80-400 lens?  I was thinking that one camera would be used with the 70-200 and the other would be used with the longer lens.

Any comments/ideas would be very much appreciated.

Marsha

Traveling light could mean going DX.  It could mean going to a different system and micro four thirds is worth it. Look at the Panasonic GH-3 or a rangefinder style.

next completely different for stills not so much for video is the Fuji x100s, X20, XE, Xpro

the Xpro, XE and even Nikon A have a large sensor.  You can go to B&H photos site and search point and shoot and arrange the list for cost high to low.  I think the Sony is a $2000, p&s.

If your shooting lots of action a DSLR is the best solution.  For everything else these are good options and you will like the lighter load.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow