Started Apr 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
xrdbear
xrdbear MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,653
Like?
Re: Prints stored badly faded badly...
In reply to David Seys, Apr 14, 2013

David Seys wrote:

I don't really know why you have been knocking my posts lately when I post something with a negative comment.  You did the same, and locked the thread, a few weeks ago when I said I was not pleased with Jon Cone's failed but promised timeline to bring his Claria Ink Thrift to the market.  You said it wasn't fair to knock him when he isn't a member here to defend himself.  He is in fact a member here and posted something else later that same day.

To say I probably printed the photo on non-Epson material just shows you didn't read my entire post.  The first sentence and the very few first words I CLEARLY stated I did in fact print on Epson canvas.  Thanks for coming out though

Anyway, yes I realize many factors contribute to longevity.  But being behind glass in a plastic tote with some kids school work papers should hardly contribute to 30% + fade after 6 years when ALL Epson material was used.  So every print I've ever sold printed with Epson inks now concern me.  I pay a premium to use their "100+ year inks" and charge my clients accordingly.  Who looks like the fool if they start coming back to me?

I understand this may be an isolated incident.  I'm going to try to locate other prints from the same time period printed with the same inks and canvas and see what is going on before I become too furious.

My apologies, I did read your whole post and then promptly forgot about the Epson Canvas. As far as my action over the Claria inks discussion is concerned I draw your attention to rule 7 of the forum available here - http://www.dpreview.com/forums/forum-rules . Also Rule 3.

I'm not trying to be negative here or speak as a moderator. I just think that you are being a bit unfair and alarmist to attack Epson Ultrachrome inks, which do not have a reputation for fading, in the way you have done without considering other possible reasons. It was however a good idea to bring up your problem here and gain the advice and expertise of other members. For my part I can say that I am using photographs in my roadside signs for our free range eggs printed in Epson Ultrachrome on Enhanced Matte paper and protected from the elements only by Fellowes lamination pouches. I made spare prints at the time, 5 years ago, and they are practically indistinguishable from those that have been outside day in and day out for that time. We have very clean air here on Skye (apart from salt spray) so that may have contributed to their longevity.

-- hide signature --

Brian
Fine Art Print sales of the Isle of Skye at:
http://www.eyeofskye.co.uk/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow