Return of Interesting article on DxO about 5D III and D800...

Started Apr 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
qianp2k
Forum ProPosts: 10,113Gear list
Like?
Re: true and 14-24 on d800 only scores 17
In reply to MAC, Apr 14, 2013

MAC wrote:

look closely at the 5dc lips below - jaggies and artifacts - 5dc is sharper yes, but clearly the 60d has more resolution and avoids the jaggies

I much prefer the 60d image in the comparison below - artifacts and jaggies ain't resolution as the lips show

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51121511?image=0

Just one clarification that above is NOT my original photos.  You know that in that thread if anyone ever checked.  That's why I said don't repeat old words over and over as we have discussed/debated enough in that thread.  No mention in your own test in that thread that shows 5D actually holds well against your T4i in center but showing a bit more details (at least sharper) in edges.  DXOMark may use average frame MTF data in its p-mpix calculation.

This is from my original photos at 100% sizes (and I upsampling 5D file to 60D size for easier comparison at the same size).  If upsampling can increase resolution as someone suggested, it's great and wonderful as Canon shooters would only need to upsampling 5D3 photos to 36mp to match from D800/D800E

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/7843305573/photos/2477554/60d_24-105lvs5d_24-70lii?inalbum=5dvs60d-resolution

In real world outside photos that ultimately matter, my eyes (and I am not alone if you read that thread) see 5D actually resolves more fine details than 60D in my test photos.

World 'Resolution' seems highly controversial and misused.  It's only matter if your eyes can actually resolve (see) the fine details (the word I prefer) in real world photos.  That's why DXOMark Perceptual Sharpness makes sense which on my understanding based on MTF resolution (20% and above) + acutance out of cameras by default.  In reality you'd need much less sharpening in 5D files than in 60D/7D while 5D still can withstand sharpening (much) better before showing obvious artifacts.

-- hide signature --
 qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
SameNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow