Spoiled by a sensor....(G5 vs GH3 (and GH2))

Started Apr 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
Chatokun
Regular MemberPosts: 447Gear list
Like?
Re: Spoiled by a sensor....(G5 vs GH3 (and GH2))
In reply to Mahmoud Mousef, Apr 14, 2013

Mahmoud Mousef wrote:

In 2 years the body will be all but forgotten, replaced with the Next New Thing with better sensor and so on...

Though I love the GH3 (from what I have seen), I seriously would not pay more than $400 for the body, and with the way the prices go on these things some time after release, I may even get my wish...

EPL1 still sells. GF1 and EPL1 are also the names many often hear when first hearing about M43(along with the OMD now). From personal experience, I heard of the GF1 and GX1 first, then the OMD and EPL1 once I started doing some research. I didn't hear about the GF, G, GH series until after I was already invested.

The OMD and others of this sensor generation have significantly better sensors that have been DxO marked near the top of the list, with mostly only newer than them APS-C and FF sensors winning in all but ISO performance for some, and winning even in ISO performance against many others. As I recall, the OMD is still above most if not all the Canon APS-C sensors in Color bits and dynamic range, and beating some of the 135 sensors in dynamic range too, (while being close in color bits).

While new cameras do come out, many people keep their bodies for years... and I think the Sony sensors in this generation are great enough to last as signature cameras for a while... similar to how the Canon 5D Mark II(5 years old this year) is still the one I hear praised the most, despite the Mark III and 6D being released already. The only sensor I think I'd be dying to get my hands on as a replacement would be one made with the new color splitting tech, if the rest of the sensor is good also.

Chatokun's gear list:Chatokun's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow