5D MkIII + 7D?

Started Apr 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
qianp2k
Forum ProPosts: 10,350Gear list
Like?
Re: John nailed it!
In reply to Freeman-Jo, Apr 14, 2013

Freeman-Jo wrote:

What about 1D3, if you don't need super high MP, 1D3 offer 10MP at 10fps.  For a used one, the price isn't much higher than 7D.  Also, you have to think about this, the difference between 7D and the 1D series isn't just fps, but also the buffer size.  Both 1D3 and 1D4 would have more buffer thus higher frame count also.  Just a thought.

+1.  After studied several months I picked up a lightly used 1D3 in Nov '09 over 7D despite spent a few hundred more.  Never regret a bit.  Although 1D3 is only 10mp but I have no problem to crop 1D3 photos to 100% and usually I don't crop my 60D photos more than 50%.  The difference is not just fps or buffer but overall speed and lag/refresh time.  Although I also own 5D3 now, but I still feel 1D3 AF is faster (lens' lock-in speed) probably due to its more powerful battery that drive lenses faster. 10fps and 30-raw buffer in 1D3 (that only can leverage CF card speed to around 300x and will not take advantage of fast UDMA CF cards) are much faster than 6fps and 15-22 raw buffer in 5D3 (I used fastest 1000X UDMA 7 CF).

IQ side, 1D3 generates well-known pleasing photos with creamy and smooth look.  And it doesn't have banding or at least not that easy to show banding compared to 5D2 and even 5D3 in my experience.  I found 1D3 is also an excellent portrait and studio camera provided you can live with 10mp size as it produces very pleasing look and very nice skin tone.

1D3 does very well in airshow to capture the critical moments.  I will take 5D3 in one or two airshows this year to see if 6 fps and shallower buffer are enough to meet my expectation to capture critical and precise moments.  My copy of 1D3 never lets me down.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3238333

-- hide signature --

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
If picture worth a thousand words, how many megapixel is it?
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

-- hide signature --
 qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow