how does the 16-50 PZ lens compare to the 18-55 kit lens on the NEX 5N specifically?

Started Apr 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,981Gear list
Like?
Re: how does the 16-50 PZ lens compare to the 18-55 kit lens on the NEX 5N specifically?
In reply to Rickj23, Apr 14, 2013

Rickj23 wrote:

Mark K wrote:

I am the only happy owner here..1650 came with Nex 6 and worked on my 5n..very versatile with good range. If image quality is your major concern, simply use prime lenses

-- hide signature --

Mark K

I thought that "image quality" is the "major concern" for anyone buying the camera !

But image quality at any cost?  There is a point of diminishing returns.

Why pay extra for the camera with a kit lens that performs worse than the older kit lens.

Some people are concerned with size as well.  So, you can have a compromise and compactness.

And even if the 16-50 is worse than the 18-55 (I think the jury's still out on this one), it's still in the ballpark of kit lenses, even compared to bulky DSLRs.  I've seen posted photos, they just don't look bad.

N.B. as NEX 6 is still supplied with the older SEL1855 as the £100.00 [$150.00] cheaper option?  And indeed, why not buy NEX 6 body only and buy the relevant prime lens at the same time ?

For some people, it's just going to be more convenient to have a zoom, particularly when traveling and not necessarily having the time to stop and fiddle with the camera and swap lenses, etc.  There are times when I'm lucky to get photos at all; I'd be left behind if I had to stop long enough to swap lenses....  And then there are times where I have all the time in the world.

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow