Chris Noble
Senior MemberPosts: 1,206Gear list
Like?
A "better" PC
In reply to Tareq Abdulla, Apr 14, 2013

Tareq Abdulla wrote:

Tom_N wrote:

Tareq Abdulla wrote:

Mostly i will go with i7 extreme processor, i have 3 options but i may go with the cheapest of the 3 instead going with the most expensive one if it will be overkill and i don't need to waste that much money, so this processor will not be a difficult decision anyway.

The i7 Extreme Edition (6-core i7) is by far the most expensive Core i7 CPU, so when you say that you may go with the "cheapest" one because you don't need to waste money, you're kind of contradicting yourself here.  If your priority is saving money and you do not know how much the Extreme Edition would be better, you should be going with a quad-core CPU.

Ok, the 3 options are:

i7-3930k

i7-3960

i7-3970

The first one is about $570, so it is sure expensive, but the last 2 are over $1000 slightly, so it is like 3930 model is around the half price, this is the cheaper of the three anyway.

i7-3770K is around $330, that is about $240 cheaper than i7-3930K, for many it is a huge differnce or savings, but for me it is not a big deal, if that i7-3770K is much better than i7-3930K then i will forget i7-39xx model and go with i7-3770K, but why those i7-39xx model too much overpriced? What is the reason of that high price?

Tareq, it is quite easy to do research on the Web that will explain the differences between these processors. It comes down to (1) number of cores; (2) amount of L3 Cache (on-chip memory); (3) I/O channels. If you want even more of all of these features, look at the Intel Xeon processors. You can spend several thousand dollars on one of those.

None of this is "better" (a word you are using a lot). More power is not necessarily better (in life as well as in computers). Get what you need. In my opinion, the i7-39xx processors are way overkill for you. They are designed for multi-tasking workstations and servers. Get an i7-37xx.

What is "better" however is a good power supply (80 Plus Gold, Platinum or Titanium), sized to your load and no more (avoid 80 Plus and 80 Plus Bronze which are the lowest grades). Otherwise you will just generate a lot of useless heat that ages all the components and you will have to put in a cooling system. I have an i7-3770 system with 16 GB RAM, SSD and HDD. It is wicked fast and the whole thing dissipates less than 100W off an 80 Plus Gold 250W power supply. There is one tiny processor fan and one small enclosure fan that never run up enough to be audible. Sometimes, smaller is better.

Chris Noble's gear list:Chris Noble's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
rhit MOD
rhit MOD
rhit MOD
hereNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow