**Weekly X Series Photo Thread 13th April, 2013**

Started Apr 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
Birddogman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,070Gear list
Like?
More 18th Century PA/German Stuff
In reply to Tom Schum, Apr 14, 2013

4 months and two weeks to go until the dogs and I can hunt birds again again, so to pass the time, I took a ride into neighboring Lancaster County in the two-seater one day this past week.  Came across the remnants of a circa 1740's Pennsylvania-German religious settlement called the Cloisters.  The buildings looked like pure medieval Germanic construction - timber framing with lath, mud and straw filler covered with thin wooden siding.   Got a few pics.
In the foreground was the house of Conrad Biessel, the founder of the sect; in the background was the place where the celibate brothers and sisters lived - an enormous building for those days in what was then the wilderness.  The rooms in those places were tiny and ceilings were very low - I could not stand up all the way in some of them.

This was a cistern in the lower level of a stone spring house:

An old graveyard with some birth dates going back to the 1600's.  All of the markers are in German, of course.

Inside, looking out:

A wood-fired baking oven.  I still see such ovens routine in use on farms owned by my PA Dutch relatives.

Two stone buildings - most were timber-framed as noted above:

Interior of a typical timber frame building - note thinner walls.  The narrow wooden benches were beds and the small wood block was the pillow.  There was little food or sleep and lots of hard work.  In addition, they were celibate.  Apparently, these folks believed the more miserable you were during your life, the closer you would get to God.  From what I could see, they must have been very close indeed.  It is no great surprise to me that the popularity of the sect waned and it died out.

All shot with an X-Pro 1 and the 18-55mm lens; and PP'd in CS5.  C&C very welcome.

Birddogman's gear list:Birddogman's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
x10New
EyeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow