Thom Hogan's assessment of a D400

Started Apr 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
photoreddi
Senior MemberPosts: 4,694
Like?
Re: Thom Hogan's assessment of a D400
In reply to Tomas36, Apr 14, 2013

Tomas36 wrote:

What did you read (or not read) that led you to this conclusion? If Thom is writing "ONLY DX books, not FX" then the D3, D3s, D3x, D600, D700 and D800 must all be DX cameras because he's written guides for all of them, thus demonstrating that Nikon has never, ever produced any FX cameras. Hmm, maybe I'm mistaken. There's no D7100 guide, so that may be Nikon's first FX camera.

OK, I stand corrected on these guides, however I do believe that pro and enthusiast level camera books and guides generate most of his books-related income. As far is D7100 is concerned it is Thom's own words that he is buying it because he has to write a book on it.

Although I respect Thom very much, I'm first to admit that sometimes he exhibits some ways of influencing the market (though I don't think he can generate enough push). Another good example is advertising iOS over android, but that's another theme...

I'd say that he tries to influence Nikon much more than he tries to influence the market (readers/photographers?) although Nikon seems to be more willing to blunder along than to heed his good advice. He tries to influence photographers in ways that don't maximize sales of his guides. One way is by explaining and recommending when it isn't wise to upgrade from an older to a newer camera. He also sells a guide to using Nikon's software which includes Camera Control Pro and Capture NX2, and I believe that Thom has written several times that he no longer recommends using this software, so that should reduce sales of this guide.

I'm not sure what your point is about Thom writing that he's buying the D7100 "because he has to write a book on it". To my knowledge only Ken Rockwell writes about cameras that he's never bought or even held, so I'd expect Thom to buy every FX and DX camera that Nikon sells if he intends to keep writing camera guides. The way that he tries to influence the market to buy them is by making them them most comprehensive, useful and well written guides available.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow