Did I make a mistake? (Pentax K-5iis vs Nikon D7100)

Started Apr 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
Richard B.
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,376Gear list
Like?
Re: Did I make a mistake? (Pentax K-5iis vs Nikon D7100)
In reply to Aidan Gibson, Apr 14, 2013

Aidan Gibson wrote:

Hi there,

did I make a mistake in buying the Pentax K-5iis instead of the Nikon D7100?

any ideas?

Thanks.

I used the D7000 (the D7100 predecessor) prior to switching to the K-5 iis. I found the ergonomics on the D7000 quite challenging, K-5 iis on the other hand is a joy to use. I used the D7000 for a couple of years, but never did get fully used to Nikon's menu system or button placements. The D7100 also lacks in-body stabilization.

It may be that Nikon has improved the metering on the D7100, but the metering on the D7000 was quirky to say the least and was capable of overexposing when you would least expect it. This could be on a fairly ordinary landscape situation e.g. some trees, a lake and few  clouds in a blue sky with the sun behind you and it could over-expose. It drove me crazy and cost me quite a few shots with blown highlights.

-- hide signature --
 Richard B.'s gear list:Richard B.'s gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 17-70mm F4.0 AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow