Started Apr 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
John King
Forum ProPosts: 12,795Gear list
Like?
Re: Metering mode has no effect - Ha!
In reply to photofan1986, Apr 14, 2013

photofan1986 wrote:

Sorry, John,

Didn't want to sound rude or anything. I am just getting low on patience.

Accepted ...

Having just spent a couple of days talking my brother through a similar situation with his E-620 and FL-36, I am also a tad touchy ! Having him shout at me over the phone for over 30 minutes before I could get him to calm down and listen didn't help ...

Yes, I tried everything that could be made, including changing exposure mode, metering mode,  shutter speeds...just for the sake of doing it, even though I knew that it would not change anything, and it of course didn't.

The change between metering modes is very subtle with some subjects/background - barely visible, in fact. With other subjects/backgrounds it can make up to a stop difference.

In all your posted images, there is a substantial area of the frame that is approaching white (i.e. RGB values of somewhere around 200 and up). This will throw out Olympus matrix metering considerably. Can't speak for Canon metering, as it is different ...

In those particular circumstances, I would have used C-W spot metering, as the large areas of light colours have seriously interfered with the matrix metering.

The differences can be seen in the examples that I posted here:
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51285848

I know that they weren't the best images, but they did illustrate the problem with using different metering modes with Olympus cameras with flash. The ambient light in those images was all but irrelevant compared with the flash output and exposure parameters.

Some people seem to have no understanding of flash exposure here, and my OP wasn't meant to educate them here but rather to search confirmation of the issue or not. Those with the sufficient knowledge answered my question actually. Others are missing the basic knowledge to answer my question. That's not a problem, as long as they don't try to make themselves  interesting by talking about things they visibly don't have a clue about.

Flash photography is very difficult, IMNSHO. There are many variables, and one must take them in and apply the required flash/exposure values for the camera one is using. It would surprise me greatly to find that Olympus has suddenly changed their metering/flash interface with the OM-D. It appears from the manual that they have not done so.

The other alternative is that either your camera or flash unit is faulty. But before then, you must establish that either one or the other, or both, are at fault. This can only be established by controlling your experiments in a far more structured way than your original images demonstrate.

FWIW

-- hide signature --

Regards, john from Melbourne, Australia.
(see profile for current gear)
Please do not embed images from my web site without prior permission
I consider this to be a breach of my copyright.
-- -- --
The Camera doth not make the Man (nor Woman) ...
Perhaps being kind to cats, dogs & children does ...
I am a Photography Aficionado ... and ...
"I don't have any problems with John. He is a crotchety old Aussie. He will smack you if you behave like a {deleted}. Goes with the territory." boggis the cat
Gallery: http://canopuscomputing.com.au/gallery2/v/main-page/

Bird Control Officers on active service.

John King's gear list:John King's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-30
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow