The price of the SD1M is still way too high!

Started Apr 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
Roland Karlsson
Forum ProPosts: 19,529Gear list
Like?
Re: What choice do you have?
In reply to Marty4650, Apr 14, 2013

Marty4650 wrote:

Ask yourself... why should Sigma sell this camera for any less than they have to?

They shouldn´t of course.

If they would not increase the sales significantly in number of cameras by going from $1500 to $1000, they shouldn't.

When it comes to the minimal price that makes profit, that's a tough one. Because Sigma has spend loads of money developing the camera and sensor and making the first batch of sensors. Its very hard to see how they can get that money back, by any pricing level.

This is the current situation though, and looking forward the best you can do is to take the loss and sell the coming cameras at a level that brings you more money than you lose. Not an easy task to make that choice.

They have chosen to sell the DP cameras at half the price of a SD1M camera, body only. The SD1M camera bodies cannot be all that more expensive to make, taking into account that the DP cameras contains first rate lenses, so the two prices are marketing decisions I would say, and are not dictated from the cost of making the cameras.

I maintain that $1500 for the SD1M is somewhat to high to make it sell in any substantial numbers. But - maybe that is according to the plan. Maybe they don´t have any intentions to sell many. Maybe they just want to sell some few. Maybe they want it to be an exclusive camera. The original price hints at that. Now, I know its another guy deciding now ...

All in all. If you really want a Foveon camera, the DPxM cameras are reasonable choices. Somewhat too expensive if you don't care about Foveon. But, if you do ... its just fine. To pay the premium price for SD1M (plus, for most of us, some SA lenses) makes that camera a very marginal seller on the market, I would guess.

Roland Karlsson's gear list:Roland Karlsson's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow