Spoiled by a sensor....(G5 vs GH3 (and GH2))

Started Apr 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
eagle_I
Senior MemberPosts: 2,670
Like?
Re: Spoiled by a sensor....(G5 vs GH3 (and GH2))
In reply to jalywol, Apr 14, 2013

jalywol wrote:

So, the long and short of it is, the G5 is a very nice little camera which just did not work for me.

I'm going to wait and see what they come out with down the road (maybe a rangefinder style with the GH3 sensor?....that would be PERFECT).

I've been a happy new GH3 owner for awhile now too.  When I discovered my 14-140mm would not allow for close enough focusing at the wide 28mm equiv end I started shopping for a lens.  Problem was the one I found I liked cost $1500 or so .... sheeesh just could not justify that for my anticipated limited use.  I'm a 95% of the time telephoto shooter.

Anyway when I realized the lens performance I needed could be had via another Panny camera I began to investigate.  Only took me a short time to feel an investment in a FZ200 at $500 would be a better option.

That was about 3 weeks ago .... and I've hardly touched the GH3 since.  I'm LOVIN the capability and convenience of the FZ200.  Image quality is amazing!  As a old fart with weakening eyes I miss the big bright ELV of the GH3, but I don't miss the weight of it and the 100-300mm.

The sadness that I've got a great new expensive GH3 sitting un-used has, now after typing this, turned to guilt.  DANG!  Tomorrow I WILL do some shooting with it!

The Panny Compact Camera Forum is a good resource to learn more about the FZ200 and seeimage examples.  Unfortunately you'll find complaints about it's quirky dial wheel too.  Found a post where one fellow said he removed some of the plastic material just above the top of the wheel so he could make better contact with it by pressing down.  Believe he also used a fine file to make the notches more "grippy."  This wheel has also been a problem for me, but I'm slowly getting better at using it.

Here's the link to the slo mo video I'd wanted to try to shoot with the GH3.  The FZ200 made it easy not only for providing lens needed, but it also has 120fps slo mo capture capability built-in.

Hummingbird feeder close-up in slow motion 2:26min

Mark

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow