Does M4/3 or DSLR produce higher quality photo's

Started Apr 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
MatsP
Senior MemberPosts: 1,067Gear list
Like?
Re: Does M4/3 or DSLR produce higher quality photo's
In reply to marike6, Apr 14, 2013

I think when it comes to the new Nikon APS-C DSLRs like the D7100 and for example their new Coolpix A compact, there are a number of factors that make images from them look good.  First, as mentioned above, Nikon has removed the OLPF (Optical Low-Pass Filter) so sharpness, and rendering of fine detail is quite good.  Nikon also knows a thing or two about optics, and some of many of their lenses are first rate.  Certainly m43 has some outstanding lenses, but the more slightly more shallow DOF of APS-C can really makes subject that are in sharp focus stand out.

Another camera without an OLPF is the Coolpix A.  Have a look at the DPR comparison tool or Richard Butler's Coolpix A Coolpix A sample gallery, and is seems clear that the combination of the wonderful Sony 16 mp Exmor sensor with no OLPF, and the Nikkor lens are paying dividends with regard to resolution.

Second, cameras like the D5200, D7000, D7100 and Coolpix A have outstanding color depth.  I've noticed in my own images the better color depth say between the GH2 or GX1 images vs the D7000 or D800.  The Nikon images just look richer. Clearly the newer m43 sensor have improved color depth, but the Nikon APS-C and FF cameras in all class leading in this area.  With RAWs with my Nikon 1 or m43 cameras, I always felt the need to boost saturation a bit.  With my Nikon DSLRs colors usually look terrific straight OOC.

On the other hand, the newest 3 Olympus m43 cameras, and the GH3 are no slouches at all for sharpness, DR and color depth.  So certainly any of the cameras with produces excellent image quality.  Since many elements that define IQ like color rendering are subjective it's hard to say which is better.  I have my preference, but another user will have theirs.

Much about Nikon here, and I agree that the latest Nikon DX cameras are excellent. My son just bought himself a D7000, which you can get cheaply now when the 7100 is out, and I think it has a little better IQ than my E-M5. 7100 should be even better.

But regarding Canon APS models, and according to DxO, no Canon APS today has a better sensor than the best m4/3. Including 7D and 60D. I came from Canon APS to m4/3 and for me this meant better colours and lower noise. Not saying my Canon was bad at all, but the E-M5 is better.

So it also depends on which camera brand you compare with.

MatsP's gear list:MatsP's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Canon Pixma MG8150 DxO Optics Pro Standard +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow