Started Apr 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 6,621Gear list
Like?
Motocross photos - OM-D + 75-300
Apr 14, 2013

I was curious as to how bad the OM-D would be at shooting "fast action", so I went out to the practise session of a motocross club and took some photos.

In short, the shortcomings of m4/3s for this style of photography have been greatly exaggerated by some people in the forums. 
I was there for about 50 minutes. I took 212 photos of MX riders going around their circuit. Of those 21 were out of focus. I'll take a 90% hit rate on a moving target anyday.

Typical settings were C-AF, burst (but rarely used. Usually only single shots) Shutter set to 1/640 to 1/1600. In retrospect I probably need to slow that down a b

it to get the wheel blur happening, but hey, I've never shot MX before.

The photography could be summarised as "put centre focus box on rider, press shutter button". It's absolutely a piece of cake.

Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +3 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow