Cougar encounter

Started Apr 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
dave gaines
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,121Gear list
Like?
Cougars on the trail and padded camera bike rack
In reply to Digirame, Apr 14, 2013

Digirame wrote:

Dave, those are great photos.  I enjoyed seeing them.  I think about mountain lions when I'm out hiking along our trails in Oregon.  That was smart to have your camera with you when riding the bike.  We photoholics got to have our cameras with us at all times.

Thanks for your comments. I'm glad you like them.

I think about mountain lions every time I'm out, especially riding or hiking out late in the evening, just before dark. On the bike I'm like a fast scurrying mouse toy for a big house cat. It'd be a game for a cougar to catch me.

I always have a camera with me. Before I got the E-3 in 2007 and even after that, I carried the C-8080 in a special handlebar rack I created from found parts. The C-8080 is still the easiest to bike with due to it's size. On my mountain bike I added areo bars to my handlebars over the front suspension forks. I put the camera in a padded bike trunck rack bag with a hard plastic box inside and more padding in the box. That hangs on the areo bars, suspended by bungee cords that allow it to bounce a little through the bumps. Hopefully that all takes out some of the jarring bumps and vibrations. and the front of the handlebars rarely hit the ground when I fall. And I try not to fall anymore. It hurts me and the bike. I don't ride technically challenging, single track trails much, mostly dirt fire roads. Trails are for hiking.

Lately I've also carried a good Manfrotto aluminum tripod for some of the waterfall shots I was going for. In that case the tripod head, camera, lenses, ND filters, etc go in a daypack and I ride more carefully.

-- hide signature --

Dave

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow