Cougar encounter

Started Apr 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
dave gaines
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,126Gear list
Like?
Re: Cougar encounter
In reply to Gary Blake, Apr 14, 2013

Thanks for your reply. Wow, extinct 130 years ago. That's amazing and sad. It's good to hear they are coming back. They were going to be extinct here until they were protected. You can no longer hunt them in California. Hunting them elsewhere, though legal, recently cost the US Secretary of the Interior (as in National Parks) his job. Not sure if I'm remembering all of the details right, but it was within the last year.

I have seen cougar tracks following big horn sheep and deer tracks in the local mountains. I have seen medium sized cougars two or three times before. Yes, they are very shy and reclusive. They were leaving as soon as they saw me. They've almost always seen me before I saw them.

If you want to see cougars, try looking at night. They are more active then. You might consider a hunter's tree chair and a camo body suit like the birders wear. I wouldn't want to be on the ground with a cougar at night. Bait works well too. Take your neighbors annoying dog or chickens up there and tie them to a nearby tree. LOL Just kidding. Maybe a fresh tri-tip or london broil, tied with a line through. I once baited a 10 foot crocodile with a chicken in Belize. There's a whole other crazy story to go with that...

-- hide signature --

Dave

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow