Fuji X100s seems to have abyssal IQ at close range and f2

Started Apr 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
pavi1
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,225Gear list
Like?
Re: Fuji X100s seems to have abyssal IQ at close range and f2
In reply to PhotonTrapper, Apr 14, 2013

PhotonTrapper wrote:

When I first saw the only "close-up" pic in the sample gallery published with the X100s preview (Image DSCF0166), I thought they made a mistake, that they forgot to throw away the bad ones, that they just dumped the whole series there.

Now, after bumping into this article Fujifilm X100S: Macro mode soft, avoid wide apertures I suspect this blurry image in the preview gallery might not be an accident after all. It is probably  representative of the X100s capabilities at close range (far from being macro though) when the lens is fully open. And DPR staff had probably a good reason to publish it despite its low IQ: they could not get anything better at f/2 with that camera.

Now, close range + large aperture are technically challenging with a larger sensor and I suppose Fuji engineers know about that limitation but could not find a way to remedy it without compromising the whole design. But with that price tag attached to it, I am a bit surprised this machine can't even shoot at f/2 when the subject is at 1-2 feet.

Any comment?

I understand that is the way it is. Might even be in the manual. Wrong camera if you are looking to shoot 1foot at f2.

-- hide signature --

Everything happens for a reason. #1 reason: poor planning
WSSA #44

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow