Is FF sensors going to slowly phase out?

Started Apr 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
Erik Magnuson
Forum ProPosts: 11,703Gear list
Like?
Re: Nope, it's rather the opposite.
In reply to Bart Hickman, Apr 14, 2013

Bart Hickman wrote:

I stand corrected.  I was under the impression the mirrorless market was growing faster in terms of percentage.  Maybe it's not.

Growing faster as a percentage does not mean growing faster - it just means that the growth is to a smaller base.   For 2013, DLSR growth is projected to be by 1.6 million units (from 16.2 million to 17.8 millon)  Mirrorless by less than 1 million units (from 4 million to 4.9 million).

I think the high volume lenses I'm thinking about aren't nearly this sharp.  Certainly not much that gets tested at places like photozone.

Again, you are applying the wrong numeric logic - it's not important that a lens+sensor system resolve to the theoretical maximum resolution - it's sufficient that they resolve significantly more than whatever you are comparing to (for a personal definition of "significant.")   Lens resolution is not a "brick wall" type filter - every lens on a D800 will show higher resolution than the same lens on a D3x - just not always by the linear pixel count difference.  BTW, that's not a ratio of 36/24 or 1.5 - that's area and resolution is measured as linear, so the correct ratio is  7360/6048 or 1.2.

-- hide signature --

Erik

Erik Magnuson's gear list:Erik Magnuson's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 450D Sigma SD10 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Nikon D3200 +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NoNew
NoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow