Watt/seconds for Infinite white

Started Apr 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 6,493Gear list
Like?
Re: Watt/seconds for Infinite white
In reply to ConanLloyd, Apr 14, 2013

I can make a white muslin background pure white with 25Ws of strobe power, but to do that I have to work at ISO 400-800. Normally I use a pair of strobes at about 100Ws and shoot at ISO 100-200 at 1/160sec and f/5.6 to f/8.

Remember that you positively don't want to overexpose by more than 1 stop if your subject is only 6' from the background.  I keep mine to 0.7 plus/minus 0.2 stops.

As the subject to background distance increases you can overexpose a bit more, but keep it to about 1.5 stops at 10'-12'.

If you overexpose the background by more than these amounts you will start having problems with light from the background bleeding around the subject, turning their edges pure white.  You will also get broad light source lens flare, which causes a loss of image contrast.

Please don't buy cheap low quality studio strobes.  I did that the first time and they quickly wound up in the trash - a total waste of my money.  Buy quality and you won't regret it.  Please read the article I wrote to help others avoid my expensive mistake.

Sailorblue - Digital Photography Review - Equipment Guide for Setting up a Small Home Portrait/Glamor Studio

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow