Accurately comparing FF vs APS-C sensor performance? An open discussion.

Started Apr 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
VirtualMirage
Senior MemberPosts: 2,793Gear list
Like?
Re: You misunderstand
In reply to OldClicker, Apr 14, 2013

OldClicker wrote:

Those are mathematical models.

So now you are flipping your stance and admitting that DoF and its related variables are based on mathematical formulas?

All math models make assumptions.

Welcome to the world of math and science!  It doesn't make it any less accepted or valid.

You want to use the models and deny the assumptions.

Examples, proofs?

What assumptions am I denying that play an impact on the values that I have given you?

The only thing I am seeing from you is based on your perception, only what you are seeing.  Your perception may vary from mine, it might not.  Your perception might work for you but not for someone else.  Other than going by your word, there is no way to prove this.

What realistic assumptions are these calculators doing wrong?

Yes, many mathematical models usually assume the tests are being carried out in a vacuum, a perfect world.  We know that in real life our scenario wouldn't match this, but the results are usually very accurate for everyday use with exception to the extreme situations or when you are trying to get to a extremely accurate numbers (ie, to several decimal places) that would only need to be registered in a lab environment.  We are not working in a lab, we are not working in the extremes or on another planet, and thus this would not apply.

-- hide signature --

Paul

VirtualMirage's gear list:VirtualMirage's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a77 II Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow