Fuji X-S1, HS50EXR & Panasonic FZ200 Comparison

Started Apr 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
OpticsEngineer
Senior MemberPosts: 2,203Gear list
Like?
Re: Fuji X-S1, HS50EXR & Panasonic FZ200 Comparison
In reply to nicknd99, Apr 14, 2013

A few months ago I took about a thousand pictures with my XS1 and my sisters FZ200.

I found the image stabilization on my XS1 slightly better than the FZ200.  I always held the viewfinder up to my eye, forehead resting on the eye cup for improved stablization.

For image quality at short and mid focal lengths, I found the XS1 to have clearly better resolution.  At full zoom, the resolution was equal, or occasionally just a litte bit better on the FZ200.

For autofocus, the XS1 had occassional missed focus.  I learned to be on the lookout for the misfocused indicator.  Usually taking a second picture right away was enough to get a good picture.

The FZ200 was very reliable on autofocus.  I got to where I expected a good focus every time.  So for action or moving subjects, the FZ200 is better than the XS1.

Since I own the XS1, I have used it a lot on vacations and travel.  I have found that in auto white balance mode, the XS1 almost always gets the colors in a picture to be an exact match to what I saw in real life.    I had the impression that the FZ200 did not do as good a job for color accuracy but I did not check it out thoroughly for that.

It is a hard choice between the two.  Both are excellent.

OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX20V Fujifilm XF1 +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow