Started Apr 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
nicknd99
Regular MemberPosts: 183Gear list
Like?
Fuji X-S1, HS50EXR & Panasonic FZ200 Comparison
Apr 14, 2013

Since I apparently like to torture myself, I'm currently testing 3 super zooms and must pick one to keep.  Each camera is very different in it's own right, but stands up well for its intended use.  I just need to pick which features, as well as feel, build, etc. works best for me.  Below are some screen shots of photos I've taken today for fun.  All are shot handheld, SOOC JPEG (how I intend to use the camera, but I will do some minor PP if necessary).  The HS50EXR and FZ200's images have been reduced to match that of X-S1 when shot in EXR DR400 M mode.

Here are some of my initial impressions/findings.

Perceived build quality: Clear winner for me was the X-S1, followed by the HS50EXR and FZ200.  I may put the FZ200 ahead of the HS50 for two reasons; the FZ's relative small size, and the HS50's poor feeling zoom action (when compared to the X-S1).

Image Stabilization: Shooting handheld this is very important to me.  Here the FZ200 is the clear winner, followed in no particular order by the Fujis.  Understand that I'm not mistaking the FZ's faster constant aperture lens and consequently availability of faster shutter speeds as a factor in this.  The Pany simply reduces my handheld shake more effectively....much better.  Maybe there are some tips out there?  I tried all of the Fuji's available IS modes and settled on what worked best for me.

Ergonomics: Clear winners for me were the Fuji's with their great manual zooms, as well as their DSLR-like layout (a bit more so with the X-S1).  I'm sure some of this is my recent familiarity with Fuji's cameras (I own an X10 & X100), as the last Panasonic I owned were the LX3, LX5 and FZ28.  Ironically (as mentioned above), I really appreciate the relatively small size of the FZ200, and in some cases I was able to zoom to target more efficiently than with the HS50EXR, but not the X-S1.

If anyone is interested I've uploaded the full size photos to dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/43u1u869g7zejn3/LsuCKmcLvs

The name of each file should be self-explanatory, but I shot each subject 3 ways with each camera: full zoom, and each camera's 2 digital zoom options.

I'd really enjoy hearing people's thoughts so as to help me come to a decision on which of these fine cameras to keep.  I'd be using the camera mostly outside (birds, nature, etc.), with maybe an indoor stadium venue or such mixed in.  While video is a nice addition, it won't be of primary concern.

nicknd99's gear list:nicknd99's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-S1 Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X30 +16 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow