Is FF sensors going to slowly phase out?

Started Apr 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
Bart Hickman
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,205Gear list
Like?
Re: Is FF sensors going to slowly phase out?
In reply to Erik Magnuson, Apr 14, 2013

Erik Magnuson wrote:

Bart Hickman wrote:

Car size is not analogous to camera size since there's a tangible benefit of large size on a car (more cargo room).

There are a tangible benefits to larger camera sensor size: 1+  stops better noise performance and better OVF.

Those are a benefit of the larger sensor.  However the size itself is a down-side.  Better noise performance can be obtained through other advancements (as is has been over recent years), but car cargo capacity can only be achieved by making the car big.

For a camera (and lens), size is always something you want to minimize.

Actually no - some people like larger cameras.  By your definition, the ideal current ILC is the Pentax Q.

They only like the larger camera because the lenses are so big.  If the Pentax Q had the same performance characteristics as a Nikon D800, the D800 would be in big trouble.

| When 8" drives were the established technology and 5.25" drives began competing, 8" drives were superior in capacity, speed, and latency.

8" drive platters were in washing machine or refrigerator sized cabinets - not the same market at all (poor analogy).

It's an perfect analogy with exactly the same type of tradeoff.  The point is people who wanted more performance put up with the larger machines.

Sigh.  The cost/performance ratio of 8" drives was coming down slowly. The cost/performance of 5.25" drives was coming down quickly.  Any idiot looking at the trend data could easily predict when 5.25" drives would be better.  You have no data to support this for sensors: the rate of change for cost/performance for sensors is relatively constant.

From what I've read, the 5.25" drives were only closing the gap for smaller capacity sizes.  When 8" drives became obsolete, they were still far higher performance, but they only offered that performance at larger capacities and larger price--beyond what most of the market wanted.  My data are from a book titled, "The Innovators Dilemma".

This is potentially analogous to FF sensors.  I don't have data for consumer demand for sensor size.  Does anybody?  It seems to me eventually the smaller sensors will offer everything almost everybody wants at which point any extra performance offered by the larger sensor is no longer profitable.

Bart

-- hide signature --
 Bart Hickman's gear list:Bart Hickman's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NoNew
NoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow