Like?
Re: Always underexposure for me.
In reply to Alumna Gorp, Apr 14, 2013

Gidday again AG

Alumna Gorp wrote:

John King wrote:

Gidday Guy

What metering mode were you using?

Can you please upload the images with EXIF intact - any size will do for these purposes.

With the OP's original images (having downloaded them), I can plainly see where the exposure has been biased by the metering mode used - matrix mode in all cases. The camera merely did what it was instructed to do ... Hence the very ordinary results.
The camera was told to do the wrong thing, and did it ...

-- hide signature --

Regards, john from Melbourne, Australia.
I kept asking what metering mode was being used and got nowhere.

The plug on flash only has a guide number of 5 @ 100 ISO and using 1/200 s shutter speed this is only going to amplify his problems. The poster seems to think shutter speed will have no bearing, of cause it will.

Every flaming thinghas a bearing in flash photography, AFAICS ...

BTW, I think that the FL-17 has a GN of 17 (if that's the flash the OP is talking about ... ), which is nearly as powerful as the very ordinary flashguns I have used for much of my photographic life!

In self defence, I very quickly jumped for a set of studio strobes to use when photographing my wife's artwork (mostly ceramics, but a whole lot of stuff that's just darn difficult to photograph ... ). I spent 3 hours one day with all sorts of on-camera and off-camera flash setups; light tent/s, etc. At the end of it, I had one halfway decent shot of one pot! My touchstone of "acceptable" is as good as or better than the images one sees in modern glossy mags or high quality art books ...

With the studio strobes and light tent, it took me about 4 hours to take about 180 images, almost all of which were of "acceptable quality" ...

Some piccies of my set up here:

http://canopuscomputing.com.au/gallery2/v/main-page/Photography/studio-lights/

Paid for themselves in that one day; let alone the sheer bloody frustration and stress that using flash for this kind of studio photography caused me.

-- hide signature --

Regards, john from Melbourne, Australia.
(see profile for current gear)
Please do not embed images from my web site without prior permission
I consider this to be a breach of my copyright.
-- -- --
The Camera doth not make the Man (nor Woman) ...
Perhaps being kind to cats, dogs & children does ...
I am a Photography Aficionado ... and ...
"I don't have any problems with John. He is a crotchety old Aussie. He will smack you if you behave like a {deleted}. Goes with the territory." boggis the cat
Gallery: http://canopuscomputing.com.au/gallery2/v/main-page/

Bird Control Officers on active service.

John King's gear list:John King's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-30
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow