Contributing MemberPosts: 571
Like?
What a Drag
In reply to DenWil, Apr 14, 2013

DenWil wrote:

MiraShootsNikon wrote:

rattymouse wrote:

bseng wrote:

What are some reasons why someone would shoot 35mm film over a DSLR. Can you extract higher image quality from 35mm?

The best reason to shoot film is to p!ss off those rabid haters who despise film.

+1.

The biggest reason I shoot film is that I like the look and clients like the look.  That should be it, right?  Why shoot film?  Because you like the results.  What other reason could one possibly need to "justify" or recommend any photographic technique?

The question, "should I shoot film?" is really shorthand for "what does--or what can--film photography look like?"  Instead of listening to a bunch of blowhards talk smack about what it can't do, why not shoot a roll and find out for yourself what it can?

And anyway, there are other reasons.  I prefer the workflow, which, for me, involves more time shooting and producing with clients and oh-so-much less time cooling my heels at my computer.   I love working with my lab: it's a big plus, to my mind, that the pro film workflow these days can involve a team of such talented, professional people.

Which gets me to another really important reason to shoot film: the community's way, way better.  Pro togs who shoot film really know what they're doing.  But digital?  Man, these days everyone is a digital "photographer."  If you're interested in being a part of a vital artistic community and you want to learn some amazing things about how to produce gorgeous photography, shooting some film yourself and befriending people who shoot film is (ironically!) one of the best ways to filter the signal from the noise, so to speak.

mira

What client paying anywhere close to top dollar will prefer 35mm film over, say, properly processed output from  a D800, for the look? Perhaps it is time to educate the client or for more folks to bother to learn how to properly process digital.  I have seen finished work out of both the Nikon D800 and the Canon  5Dmk ll / lll that look fantastic and I cannot see a client even bringing up  the potential look of film as a rationale to shooting a job in 35mm film vs. a high end DSLR.

My entire work output is in MF 67 film-  but the choice between  a tiny 24 x 36mm piece of  Acros or Velvia  film to work from, to base a campaign on,  or a native 36MP file  is a no brainer. If that is the choice  I'd take the D800.

If your priorities for using a certain camera (or format) is based on if the camera is fun,  or  being part of a vital artistic community, LOL, or befriending people,  then my conclusions likely do not apply to your circumstances. They certainly don't if your medium was chosen based on who else was using it.

I'm just a working man out  taking care of business.  As for pro film workflow-  I shoot,  I process in a dark room,  I scan, I print when necessary, I finish, and  I deliver on time-  there is no community of artisans, there are assistants and messengers  coming and going when applicable, not some  romanticized  team.  Just real day to day work and if clients do not prosper using my work I won't stay in business.    I take care of my end  and clients take care of providing their own feel good social media moments. A win win. There are significant advantages to having survived and having a deep catalog, one being that clients leave you the hell alone to do your job.

What are you doing posting here, man?   Time spent giving wastrels like me the "straight dope" is time your antisocial shoulder isn't pushing that boulder up the hill.  "Working man out taking care of business" my a**!

Whatever, dude: your job sounds like a real drag.  Now back to work rejecting your client and subjugating your "help."

mira

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow