Building a PC

Started Apr 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
Leon Obers
Senior MemberPosts: 2,788
Like?
Re: Building a PC
In reply to Tareq Abdulla, Apr 14, 2013

Tareq Abdulla wrote:
i am a big downloader guy and also i am a big photography processing guy, i may go to play with my Hasselblad 60MP files to do panos and also i have scanning films up to 4x5, and you all know how much it will take scanning 4x5 at maximum possible resolution[dpi] the scanner can give, easily over 300MB up to 1GB and more.

For big pano's, stitching many pictures together in rows and columns, working in layers with these files, thinking of e.g. editing video (most today new SLR's have video possibilities), I think 16Gb RAM is (far) adequate as a start. I should not choose for less as some users suggest.

As today electronic parts, GPU and CPU do use less energy as the previous generation, and all kind of EPU settings are active, that e.g. CPU and GPU runs at a lower speed if in idle mode, there is far less heat production. So a big CPU cooler it should be not necessary for these photographic tasks at all.
BUT, as you seems to be a (big) gamer to, these applications do eat far more power. CPU + GPU is running under full load for far longer times. For that it is better to have a more heavy cooled CPU and GPU.
As for GPU, it is mentioned els-were, the Nvidea GTX 660 OC is a good choice, power/price.
See for the proper thread here.
Plus the message with more information + link to shop.
It is also a very good card in combination for GPU usage within Photoshop CS6
See a test using different GPU's in combination to CS6
As for the power supply. Asus do have a handy on-line calculator which minimum Wattage to use.
About 500-600 Watt is about what you need. Do get a good power supply from a good brand. Stability is important for longest lasting of all electronic parts.

As for processor, I guess the Intel i7 3770K is a good choice as it comes to power versus price.

For backing-up easy, in my desktop I have fit two tray-less hard-disk bays to shift bare hard-disks in and out. Internal it is connected at two SATA II ports (300Mb/s). This is fast enough, as mechanical drives never exceed these speeds. (I tested at SATA III - 600Mb/s ports, but no difference at all).

-- hide signature --

Leon Obers

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
rhit MOD
rhit MOD
rhit MOD
hereNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow