Telephoto lens for use in Kenya

Started Apr 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
mfouks
Regular MemberPosts: 339Gear list
Like?
Re: Telephoto lens for use in Kenya
In reply to Eurofolk, Apr 13, 2013

Yes you are also in the same situation and it seems like you also want to stick to lower weight options.  I already have the 70-200 f2.8 and a 2X TC although I am considering adding the 1.4 and/or the 1.7 TC.  I have heard that the 70-200 f4.0 handles TC's better.  If I didn't already have the 70-200 2.8 version I would go for the lighter and newer f4.0 version which I have heard is better, at least as far as using a TC with it.  I wasn't thinking seriously about the 300 2.8 until a friend really recommended it to me and said it would be way better than the new 80-400.   I have used the 300 2.8  in Costa Rica with the TC (both borrowed 1.4 and my own 2X) and it seemed to work fine to my eyes.  The lens was very heavy though-no way could I hand hold it for more than a shot or two.  However, if I do more nature/bird photography it would be a great lens to have.

Enjoy your trip.

Marsha

Eurofolk wrote:

Same situation as you Marsha on lenses (and Jlt3b - on a possible new camera body). I'm getting ready for Uganda in August.

Last Safari was done with a D300 and D70 using the excellent (and light) 70-300 VR for longer shots. In Tanzania that was generally fine, and a wide angle or short prime on the D70. In Tanzania at least some of the big animals (Elephants, Lions) get pretty close (3-6 metres) to the vehicle, so sometimes even the seventy end of the lens wasn't nearly wide enough.

On lens I have the same question in terms of weight and performance between new 80-400 and a 70-200 2.8 combined with a teleconverter. Interested on comparisons, but few in the posts so far. Interested to see at least one person spoke favourably of 70-200 F4.

In terms of weight I won't go bigger than one of those two - so no 300 prime, nor the great 200-400.

On new body what I really want is the D400, but don't see much chance of that emerging this side of the summer...

So then I'm left with a choice of sticking to D300 (which is still great, but I miss the better low light performance that newer cameras can offer - also a factor for safari's), or getting a D7100. Which has some good write ups, including on its low light performance (certainly compared to a 5 year old D300)

But then will I want to upgrade to the D400 if and when it comes along?

Enjoy what will be a great trip

mfouks's gear list:mfouks's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow