D7100 'streaking'

Started Apr 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
mosswings
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,959Gear list
Like?
Re: Streaking = Smart IQ
In reply to _sem_, Apr 13, 2013

_sem_ wrote:

I'd kindly ask you to look again and closer. Look at the banding pattern in the lifted rock at the left of the image, where the sun rays are no longer strong. Notice there is an "edge" in the banding pattern; "regular" banding below and more intense banding or "streaking" above it. The edge is in the horizontal level of the sea and sun reflections in it. I think it is less pronounced than in the window samples, but enough to state that this isn't uniform banding.

Alright, I think I see what you're talking about...it's about at the 10% point on the x-axis. There is a distinct lightening occurring.  But now here's the really interesting observation...look at the rocks at the very left edge of the image. I can't see any streaking at all, just normal pattern noise.  Which says either that this effect has some relationship to distance from the bright source (as well as the sources extent), or that the streaked rock might have a bit more light reflected onto it from the surrounding rocks as well.

If we think about your statement a bit it would suggest that D7100 images really can't be pushed much at all...perhaps 1 stop for ISO 100. ...

I didn't say that at all. Banding shows up evident when pushing 6 or 7 stops, streaking a stop or two less than that.

My math error, then.  I was working from the +4 pulls previously cited in this forum.  I also note that the EXIF data on this image shows that it had a 2 stop underexposure applied - so yes, we're easily pulling 6 stops here.

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow