petr marek
Regular MemberPosts: 171Gear list
Like?
Re: 808: resolution very impressive, DR and noise not so
In reply to Tom Schum, Apr 13, 2013

Tom Schum wrote:

Joerg V wrote:

Hi Petr,

I (somehow) agree with you. The sheer resolution of the 808 is mind-boggling considering how small the sensor is and that this is a cell phone camera. I looked a lot on dpreview's 808 studio scene and I am seriously impressed. If you only consider resolution: the 808'er output resolution is more impressive than the DPxM output (given the constraints!).

That's why I think all that focus on resolution alone as single measure of image quality falls a bit short. The 808's pixel quality is obviously not very good (but there are just soooo many pixels), the dynamic range is very very poor and the 100% images are quite noisy (which was to be expected).

I guess it would be possible to squeeze the 808'er sensor and optics into something just a bit large than a lighter. Now add an automatic multi exposures blending mode too overcome noise and dynamic range problems (works on static scenes only but ok)... wow!

Cheers

Joerg

For quite some time the speculation has been that a very large pixel count can equal Foveon.  Looks like this is true.  I guess a 45 megapixel APS-C sensor would fully equal the Merrill across the ISO range.  This would include less performance above ISO 800, same as Merrill.

If this ever will happen, it is going to be a few years, and by then hopefully Sigma will have improved upon the Merrill.

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum

The advantage of Foveon, as we all know, is full color information in one spot. The result is a very natural contrast, full tonal range and ability to reach microcontrasts in the detail along with smooth rendering of homogenous surfaces without false artefacts (although I know Sigma has to improve some characteristics).

With Bayer, even there´s a lot of information from the large amount of pixels, full microcontrasts are missing and tonal range is cropped, because of weighted average of interpolation and incapability to use full light information homogenously all over the sensor.

I still see future in layered sensors, not oversampling. Just resolution won´t create the magic of alive image.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow