Started Apr 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
jfriend00
Forum ProPosts: 11,084
Like?
Re: Thom Hogan's assessment of a D400
In reply to nikkorwatcher, Apr 13, 2013

nikkorwatcher wrote:

jfriend00 wrote:

It's also possible that it has just taken them longer than expected to get to 8fps at 24MP/14 bits with low read noise and they set that as the bar for the D400.  Either they need a new dual EXPEED design that they haven't done before which didn't go as planned or they are relying on a 3rd party vendor to produce silicon speed changes (in the EXPEED ASIC) and that is taking long than expected or getting to low noise at 8fps, 24MP, 14 bits is proving difficult for their sensor design.  Everything else should be basically off-the-shelf stuff they've done before unless they're shooting for some other new tech advance too.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nikon R&D were a lot smaller and slower than people assume. Look at the state of the aged and slow Capture NX2... and then look at the software Canon give away with their cameras for free.

Nikon doesn't "get" end-user software.  Never has.  They basically suck at it.  I think their development deal with Nik was a recognition of that fact and a desire to get some help.  Now that option is gone.  All I can say is thank goodness I don't have to use any Nikon software (I use Lightroom).

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow