OMD severe flash exposure problem

Started Apr 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
Alumna Gorp
Senior MemberPosts: 1,531Gear list
Like?
Re: Sorry, didn't quite catch that......
In reply to Guy Parsons, Apr 13, 2013

Guy Parsons wrote:

photofan1986 wrote:

"I cannot understand why so many here seem to insist that the camera metering mode affects the TTL flash exposure -- it absolutely does not."

Thank you very much, man! It's really becoming very irritating when you keep repeating things again and again and people don't even mind reading you.

I'll use capital letters, maybe it will have more impact.

THE CAMERA METERING MODE DOES NOT AFFECT THE TTL FLASH EXPOSURE.

Now, maybe it went through

Heh, heh, maybe they'll learn one day.

Meanwhile in response to one post above where it says to use the camera Auto flash mode, well that makes no difference except to be unreliable at firing the flash at all under some conditions. If you want flash you turn on flash to Fill and it always fires.

Then of course with all Pens & OM-D bump up the flash compensation to plus 1.3 and things look better. Though again as mentioned intrusions in the frame near the shooter of say someone's white shirted shoulder really does mess things up. It seems that the TTL flash measurement works very hard indeed to never burn out any highlights at the expense of overall exposure.

Oh and just dusted off my old E-300 with the FL-50, and sure enough with TTL mode the flash exposure is underexposed (just like the FL-50 on any of the Pens I have), so Oly have been doing this for a while. (Ohmigosh, the E-300 plus 11-22mm plus FL-50 flash must weigh about a ton, nearly broke my wrist after using the Pens).

So to anyone using flash in TTL on Olympus, look at a histogram and see that underexposure.

Regards...... Guy

What under exposer ?

Posted samples above, if anything the OMD is fine.

Alumna Gorp's gear list:Alumna Gorp's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow