2 D7100 Q's - From a D300s and D7000 Owner

Started Apr 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
Kerry Pierce
Forum ProPosts: 17,215Gear list
Like?
Re: 2 D7100 Q's - From a D300s and D7000 Owner
In reply to Novens2, Apr 13, 2013

Novens2 wrote:

Hi I have the d300 and had the d7100 for two weeks. The improvements I noticed were improved auto white balance, better color dynamic range though sometimes flat, better high ISO but really only in good light if you're looking for fine detail. What I didn't like smaller cheaper body feels like a 7000 but even less weight but for me no big deal, the dusting out of details when light is fair to poor at ISO 500 and up, the change in behavior when it comes to flash and auto iso using the higher settings too readily forcing you to stop and turn off auto ISO easy enough with front dial, but the only deal breaker for me was the inconsistent focus with my sigma lens. If the lens issue could get worked out I could be back with a d7100 in hand as it is a nice overall improvement in IQ over the d300 IMO.

Waiting for Nikon to fix an issue with 3rd party lenses is probably not a fruitful endeavor.  I have a number of 3rd party lenses and most of them quit working properly with the introduction of the d7k. With my Sigmas, most of which are at least 7 years old, I have various AF issues with the d7k, d5100 and d800.  Inconsistent focus is one of the issues I've seen.

Depending on the age/model of the lens, Sigma may have an easy fix by updating the lens firmware. AFAIK, that's the only way to resolve the focus issue problems with Nikon bodies.  I've read many accounts of users having focus issues and then reporting that the issues were fixed after they had sent the lens back to Sigma for repair.  I haven't sent any of my lenses for repair, but I do have a new 35 f/1.4 that seems to work fine with all of my cameras.  That seems to indicate that they have the ability to fix older lenses, assuming that the lens can have its firmware updated.

good luck

Kerry

-- hide signature --

my gallery of so-so photos
http://www.pbase.com/kerrypierce/root

Kerry Pierce's gear list:Kerry Pierce's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow