Recommend an inexpensive fast MF portrait prime for NEX ?

Started Apr 6, 2013 | Questions thread
RustierOne
Senior MemberPosts: 1,703Gear list
Like?
Re: Recommend an inexpensive fast MF portrait prime for NEX ?
In reply to Amamba, Apr 13, 2013

Amamba wrote:

Well I decided to stick with SEL50F18 as this is going to be my most used lens and I like it.

Still need a couple of cheap sharp lenses to cover wide and long ends. I find the performance of the kit lens rather underwhelming.

Right now my Nex barely comes close to performance of my T3i as far as the output goes. Needless to say much of if is user problems - I don't know the system as well. But it worries me a bit that many NEX photos I see on the web appear soft and lacking contrast. Then again, I wonder how many users just post JPEGs straight out of camera. Looks like NEX JPEGs have some issues with AWB, flat curves and overly aggressive NR.

However it's hard to pick up DSLR again after handling this little camera :).

Does anyone know of a good and relatively compact MF zoom ? I'm afraid the answer is no, old zooms weren't exactly known for being compact or having good IQ. Just have to hope Sony will get through their teething problems and come up with one.

I've used a Tokina OM-mount 35-135mm f/3.5 (from 1980's Olympus OM-PC) on my NEX-5N. I don't know how it rates as to IQ. But here's an example image:

Some Meadows in the Southern Oregon Coast Range

I've done little to this post processing.

-- hide signature --

Best Regards,
Russ

RustierOne's gear list:RustierOne's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow