Started Apr 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
GreenMountainGirl
Contributing MemberPosts: 656Gear list
Like?
What lighting to buy for macro?
Apr 13, 2013

Now that I have asked about my recently purchased macro lens (Sigma 150mm - older model), and about macro focusing rails, finally the question of lights has been raised.

My first thought was a ring light, because I heard it was for macro.  Found an inexpensive one made by Polaroid ($40 at B&H)) that sounded not too bad.  Then I had it pointed out that a ring light can produce flat-looking pictures.  The next idea was individual lights - possibly mounted on the lens.  But the weight on the end of an already heavy lens is a questionable solution IMO.

There are many choices of lights, but the one that has caught my eye is the SB200.  It has wireless capability so can be set up off camera and isn't too expensive ($164 at B&H).  But it would only be one light, and the "system lights" appear to like two lights and are expensive.

So, if anyone has suggestions for what I should look for or other comments, I would appreciate it very much.  Also, I am interested in knowing if the recommendations are usable for other applications as well as macro.  Or is that another whole different game?

Susan

-- hide signature --

GreenMountainGirl

GreenMountainGirl's gear list:GreenMountainGirl's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM +2 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow