Like?
Re: Rail vs. Focus
In reply to Robin Casady, Apr 13, 2013

Robin Casady wrote:

Kerry Pierce wrote:

Robin Casady wrote:

bigpigbig wrote:

Rob Casady wrote:

Moving the camera on a rail will also change magnification, but I think it is less than changing the lens focus ring.

I would really like to know if this is true.

I'll do some tests when I get time. I'll probably start a new thread, rather than bury it here.

I can test with moving the camera on a rail, moving the camera body only with bellows, and changing the focus ring on the lens.

I use a D800E w/ 105 Macro and Helicon Remote to capture images then Helicon Focus to stack them.

I have the 105mm Micro VR, so I can test with that.

For certain scenes and lighting it works great, for others there are artifacts.

Let me know what situations give you artifacts so I can see if using a different shooting method gets rid of them.

I have a Manfrotto Macro Slider I could use, but the automated process of Helicon is just SUPER fast, accurate and convenient.

Yes, it would be interesting to know whether a stepper motor rail is worth the expense.

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned interest in you doing these tests.  I, for one, certainly would appreciate reading what you have to report on something of this nature.  So, thanks in advance for doing this.

Kerry

I posted the experiment results in the Macro and Still Life forum.

This board has a macro and still life forum? Cool. Off to explore...

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
— Bertrand Russell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow