Started Apr 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
VTRoB
New MemberPosts: 21Gear list
Like?
Fuji SL1000 vs Sony HX300
Apr 13, 2013

:-)Hi,I'm new to the forum,I only joined a few weeks ago after buying the Sony HX300;mainly because I'm slightly disappointed with some of the results of this camera.I now also have the Fuji SL1000 (long story!),one will eventually have to go,at the moment I am compareing the results of the 2.This is just a small comparison of the 2 cameras,mainly because the HX seems to get compared to the Fuji HS50EXR alot which has 'only' a 42x zoom where as  the others having 50x.

Both cameras have 50x optical zoom and they both have a good 100x digital zoom(the Fuji takes better photos at this zoom),the Sony goes all the way to 200x digital zoom,but as yet the results are disappointing.The sensor sizes are the same (I think),but the HX has 20mp where as the SL has 'only' 16mp.They are both excellent to hold in the hand,both having an excellent grip and reasonable weight.The Sony has some great manual settings and it is also very quick to change the ISO,shutter speed or aperture;the Fuji is a bit more fiddlely but gives you the macro/super macro modes,where the Sony does it automatically (?).The Sony HX seems to focus slower than the Fuji SL and in auto mode it also doesn't seem to give you an option for focus mode;where the SL lets you choose centre or multispot focus the HX doesn't (please let me know if you know diffrent),because of this it has meant I have been unable to focus on something like a bird in a tree,but the SL lets you be more presise.

So far I have had more good photos from the Fuji SL,the Sony HX seems to gives poorer (less sharp or more noise) results.I am posting a few photos taken on the same day with the 2 cameras under similar conditions,both were left on auto for fairness (although you can get reasonably good results by using the easily changeable manual settings on the HX).Light where posssible was the same and alot of the photos were taken at 50x,handheld (stablely and with the viewfinders(both good)).

Sony HX300

Fuji SL1000

Sony HX300

Fuji

Sony

Fuji

Sony

One of the better photos taken with this camera (it seems to take good photos in bright light),more photos from other members on the Sony Cybershot forum show good detail in good light!

Fuji

These are some of the photos taken today,all of which I am happy with.Both the cameras can take good and bad photos,the Fuji seems to take better photos more of the time.In lower light,not full sun the Fuji is better,the Sony's photos always seem more noisey or less sharp.I like the Sony for the manual setting features and build quality,I just seem to get better results,more of the time with the Fuji.

Hope you like the photos and my (small) review

Having just veiwed the post,it would appear I have the date set wrong on the Fuji,sorry!

VTRoB's gear list:VTRoB's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix SL1000 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX300 Fujifilm FinePix HS30EXR
Fujifilm FinePix SL1000 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow