Started Apr 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
Guidenet
Forum ProPosts: 13,365Gear list
Like?
Re: About to Buy -- What do you think ?
In reply to kclarke, Apr 13, 2013

kclarke wrote:

Hello,

For years I've just been using point-and-shoots and my iphones for photos.  I think it's time to upgrade and after a few days and lots of reading, I have these sitting in my amazon cart:

-EOS 60D base
-EF-S 17-55m f/2.8 IS USM + EW-83j Lens Hood
-EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
-Sandisk 64gb sdxc

I'll be doing alot of up close, portrait and group photos.  I have two trips into the forest this year -- there'll be mountains, rivers, mud huts, animals, etc.  There'll be family/friends' weddings, parties, funerals, and things like that.  There's an airshow next month but I may borrow a lens for that.  And then there's carnival - lots of sun, colors, and sweaty half naked people :).

Looks like a fairly good kit to start with and maybe to end with.

I'm not sure what the question is and certainly wouldn't suggest you change anything much. You seem to know what you need. The only think might be that 50 f/1.4. The 17-55 is a fast lens. I'm not sure the prime will get much use. I mean, the prime is faster, but not enough to really be that much different. I'd be thinking about an 85 f/1.8 Canon or f/1.4 Sigma instead for portrait use, but that's up to you.

Good luck and have fun.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig
Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 +25 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow