Backup camera for Africa

Started Apr 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
pjman792
Regular MemberPosts: 166Gear list
Like?
Re: Backup camera for Africa
In reply to mfouks, Apr 13, 2013

First, congratulations on the trip - it should be an incredible experience. My sister-in-law went to Tanzania two years ago, and her images are incredible. Incidentally, she said they were able to get much closer to the animal;s than she imagined.

For a second body, I'd select one that gives me capabilities the D800 does not have, such as low-light/high ISO IQ and high frames per second. If it were me, I'd select either the D3s or the D4. Yes, the bodies are a bit heavy, but you'll be in a vehicle most of the time, and not walking around with your gear. The 300mm f2.8 is an outstanding choice, but is very large and heavy. An excellent alternative would be the Nikkor 300mm f4. It's a terrific performer optically, focuses very close, and is less that half the size and weight of the 300mm 2.8.

-
Drew Tarter

pjman792's gear list:pjman792's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow