Telephoto lens for use in Kenya

Started Apr 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
mfouks
Regular MemberPosts: 333Gear list
Like?
Re: Telephoto lens for use in Kenya
In reply to Guidenet, Apr 13, 2013

Thanks Craig.  Just the kind of information that I was looking for.  I rented  the 300 f2.8 in Costa Rica, used it with both the 1.4 and 2X converters and liked the results.  So I'm impressed that the 80-400 would be as good.  Good advice about the D600 as well- I would want to make sure they got the dust issue resolved before looking a that camera.  I did have a look at the 7100 in the store and really liked its weight/size but I'm aware that it wouldn't be as good in low light situations at the D600.

Marsha

Guidenet wrote:

I envy your trip. One day maybe.

Personally, I'd add the new 80-400 to my current kit along with maybe the D600. I see no advantages to cropping in the camera whatsoever. It just makes little sense to me unless you need to do some pretty severe crops where pixel density plays a roll. You've got the D800 for that.

Instead of setting a camera to a 1.3 crop factor or an FX to DX crop factor, just capture the image and do that crop later in post. Always capture the maximum data you can at the scene. Don't leave the crops behind. There's no advantage in cropping at the location and there's lots of advantages not to.

For example, if you have a choice between a shot with a DX or FX camera, take it with the FX and later crop to something along the lines of the DX when you get home. The point is by doing it at home, it doesn't have to be that radical center crop. You may want less of a crop or more and you might be able to get a better composition than just taking the 1.5 center crop from the DX kit. The same applies to the 1.3 crop on the new D7100. Do that later, if it's needed.

I have both the 300 f/2.8 VR and the new 80-400 AFS. I bought the latter for when I need a smaller, lighter weight lens for traveling. It just makes sense for me. So far, it's showing itself to be exactly what I wanted. I think it's as good at 400 as the 300 f/2.8 with converter, but that's just my initial feelings.

Good luck and have a fun time.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig
Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow