Cougar encounter

Started Apr 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
dave gaines
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,170Gear list
Like?
Re: Cougar encounter
In reply to BigBen08, Apr 13, 2013

BigBen08 wrote:

I'm surprised more people are not attacked/killed by coyotes or mountain lions in the SoCal area. Especially small children. As I recall, several yrs ago a woman jogger was killed by a mountain lion at a wilderness park in Orange County. I live in the flatlands of the San Fernando Valley, and we occasionally see a coyote in our neighborhood

This is too coincidental. A freind just posted a photo of a coyote in the neighborhood on FB, just a couple of blocks and around the corner from me. We live in the alluvail fan below the San Gabriel Mountains, 10 minutes from 5 or 6 of my favorite hikes and bike rides.

Yes, I remember the OC cougar attack. The woman survived after being fought off by friends but a mountain biker was killed the same week. They guess he was down off his bike fixing a flat or something. Very unusual for a cougar to attack a human. I always stay close to my wife when hiking because she is smaller than me and more the size that could be attacked, if it did happen.

When I worked in Irvine for a year I lived in Foothill Ranch a few blocks from that trail. It was on the Whitting Ranch Park trail. I used to ride it several times a week.

-- hide signature --

Dave

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow