For travel - 20mm or 25mm Panasonic?

Started Apr 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
pinnacle
Senior MemberPosts: 2,444Gear list
Like?
Re: For travel - 20mm or 25mm Panasonic?
In reply to shihhan, Apr 13, 2013

shihhan wrote:

Steven 2 wrote:

Which one would you take as part of travel kit, assuming you have both?  Is there any point in taking both??

Would love to hear some thoughts.  Thanks.

There is little point in taking both...

To put all of the travel-friendly primes in perspective...

- 14/2.5: small and light (though bit slow on aperture), fairly wide (not suitable for portraits.)

- 17/1.8: small and fast, good IQ, classic street photography focal length. Expensive (£400).

- 17/2.8: although compact, slow AF and IQ/aperture poor, avoid.

- 20/1.7: mixed bag, compact, fast aperture, good IQ but slow AF (+ weird focal length)

I use the 20mm on an E-PL5 and to call the focusing slow is very misleading. It focuses just fine. I have the 20mm as a mid focal length between my 12mm and my 25mm and your characterization of "(+ weird focal length)"  is completely subjective to you and presumes that you know pretty much everything about the favorite angles of  lens view and perspective  of the OP. (Perhaps you are best friends and I somehow missed how well you know each other.)

- 25/1.4: fastest aperture, classic focal length, good IQ but a bit bulky. Expensive (£450).

So realistically, the best choices (if you can afford it) would be between 17/1.8 and 25/1.4 and it is mainly up to personal preference which of the classic focal lengths (35mm or 50mm equiv.) you prefer, and whether you need that extra stop.

So now you suggest that the OP based on your absolute statement (underlining "best choices") buy a completely different lens than the OP asked about in his opening post? You go on presuming that the OP subscribes to your perceived need to pay attention to "classic focal lengths"? You really do know pretty much everything about the OP...Wow!

20/1.7 is a mixed bag, due to the slow AF. 14/2.5 is good, but a bit wide and a bit slow.

Cheeky note: although not a prime the 14-42 X is also a decent portable size if you want to carry a zoom. Aperture isn't great, zoom lever is either love or hate, and that focus lever is a crime. But at the end of the day, zooms are a lot more versatile as a trade off.

You really are quite the Guru aren't you?

Dan

-- hide signature --

Life is good.

pinnacle's gear list:pinnacle's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow