Return of Interesting article on DxO about 5D III and D800...

Started Apr 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
schmegg
schmegg MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,258
Like?
Re: Return of Interesting article on DxO about 5D III and D800...
In reply to qianp2k, Apr 13, 2013

qianp2k wrote:

The result is clear as we have seen from tons of real world photos from respective cameras.

In terms of resolution, I've not seen that. And you've been unable to show this yourself with your 5D and 60D. Though I can easily show an 18MP crop image will resolve more of the detail projected onto it than a 22MP FF.

Why do you think this is? Could it possibly be that you don't know how to read those lines properly I wonder? For instance, did you realise that both those graphs show that the crop resolves more than the FF but with less acutance? I guess not.

Once again it goes to show the folly of using lens tests to draw conclusions regarding the resolving capabilities of different sensors. All those MTF curves will tell you, when it comes to comparing different sensors, is that lower resolving sensors will give you sharper images from lenses of lesser quality than higher resolving sensors - and that's what you can see with the 85/1.8 - and why the MTF lines are much closer with the 100/2.8.

The tests are measuring acutance and it stands to reason that larger pixels will give increasingly sharper images at pixel level than smaller ones as the lens quality drops. It actually says very little about the relative resolving capabilities of the sensor and a whole lot more about the quality of the lens (surprise, surprise! Who'd have thought that a lens test would be measuring the performance of a lens! LOL!)

BTW - I can now see why DxO don't publish them any more! This is a good example of why they tried to come up with something a little easier for people to understand!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
SameNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow