OMD severe flash exposure problem

Started Apr 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
copejorg1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,626
Like?
Re: OMD severe flash exposure problem
In reply to photofan1986, Apr 13, 2013

photofan1986 wrote:

Mmhh, I don't really see the point of buying a +300$ flash unit to use it as a simple manual flash or auto thyristor flash. You could buy 3 or more similarly powered flashes for the same price.

The flash is supposed to work as advertised. As it fails to, it's simply not acceptable.

The thing that bugs me the most is that while I read tons of reviews and user opinions on the OMD, I never came across anyone stating the obvious: the flash system is erratic.

It's up to you as a buyer to decide whether it is important to you or not, but someone who (like me) is about to switch from another brand (Canon or Nikon, both having excellent flash systems) should be aware of this.

Well, Chief, you almost made a good point there about the auto thyristor (AT) flash.  I suppose if I could get an AT flash for a third of the price of the FL-600R -- that I could also use as a wireless slave, and that could be used for HSS, and that had an a built-in LCD light, etc -- I probably would have gotten that one instead.  But of course, since AT metering doesn't make sense on a wireless slave (you really do want TTL for that), I would've bought the FL-600R anyway.

I have to admit I don't really understand your dismissive attitude about auto thyristor metering, vs TTL.  I mean, if AT gets the job done when the flash is mounted on the camera (and it does -- very well), then why would you even want to use TTL metering with a camera-mounted flash?

Even if TTL worked as well as AT in those circumstances (which it obviously should, but apparently doesn't with current hardware/firmware), I'd much prefer to use the AT flash mode anyway, to eliminate the metering preflash required with TTL.  That preflash, in addition to using up the flash batteries faster and creating the potential for lazy-eye in living subjects, also adds an additional split-second to the shutter lag, which can cause you to miss the critical moment you were trying to capture in the first place.  In other words, I don't really see the point of buying a $1000 camera body like the OM-D EM-5, with its extremely fast shutter response, and then increasing the shutter lag on every flash picture you take by using TTL flash metering exclusively.  Just sayin'.

Greg

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow