Mirrorless- Continuing to Under Perform

Started Apr 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
sigala1
Senior MemberPosts: 3,420
Like?
Who will buy DSLRs? People upgrading from iPhone.
In reply to Mahmoud Mousef, Apr 13, 2013

Mahmoud Mousef wrote:

Demographics

What's more interesting to me is: who is buying DSLRs (what are the main demographics) and why  are they choosing them? Judging by the oversmiplified controls on my D5100, I'd have to say a lot of 'newbies' who don't know their ISO from their shutter. If that's the case, how much longer can these HUGE cameras appeal to the general buying public? Many of them are unsexy; very much so.

Of course to the right person, this hugeness appeals. But the masses in general don't want large AND they want the richness of information display on an EVF. As EVFs improve, along with other aspects of mirrorless cameras, I just see more and more reason for DSLR sales to slide. I love optical for some reasons, and EVF for others. In the future, there'll be more reason to love EVF and less for optical.

There are zillions of people shooting photos with their iPhones, and some of those people will get excited about photography, and they will want to step up to a "real" camera, and the common perception in the United States is that a real camera is a DSLR.

The majority of people buying DSLRs will be too intellectually lazy to really figure out how to use them, and they will get tired of them and go back to using their iPhone. But don't worry, if they can afford an iPhone, they can afford an entry-level DSLR and won't go bankrupt because they bought one.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
YeahNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow