Backup camera for Africa

Started Apr 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
mfouks
Regular MemberPosts: 333Gear list
Like?
Re: Backup camera for Africa
In reply to jfriend00, Apr 13, 2013

I agree with you John- I will need a second camera.  Although I said backup camera, I really meant complimentary.   I'm kind of thinking about the D800 with a 300mm f2.8 lens withe teleconverter and a D7100 with my 70-200.  However, the new 80-400 is very tempting given its weight and reach.

Thanks,

Marsha

jfriend00 wrote:

On my Africa trip, I needed two primaries - one with long tele, one with mid-tele.  Because of dust issues and the need to be ready for anything, it is very difficult to switch lenses upon demand.  You will want to be prepared to shoot both near and far at any time.  So, you might think about the issue that way rather than as a backup.

I used D300 with 200-400 and D2Xs with 70-200 and found that to be a very good pair for the animals.  The D300 + 200-400 was used for small animals or animals at a distance.  The D2Xs with 70-200 was used for large animals (e.g. giraffes, elephants, etc...) or animals up close.

For landscapes, I would change lenses as the landscapes weren't moving and game me time to prepare plus I didn't shoot a lot of landscapes.

So, now that you've got the D800, you can think about a second lens/body combination that will give you a complementary reach.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow