Backup camera for Africa

Started Apr 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
mfouks
Regular MemberPosts: 339Gear list
Like?
Re: Backup camera for Africa
In reply to Harry Behret, Apr 13, 2013

Henry, I just looked at your pictures- excellent.  You got some amazing shots. You have shown that you can get good results using the 1.4 TC with the 200-400.  At this point I'm tempted to buy the 300 2.8 and get the 1.4 and 1.7 teleconverters.  I agree that the 200-400 would be an even better option but that one is even more money and heavier.  I could use the 70-200 on a D7100 and then use the 300 with a teleconverter on the D800.  I have been told that because of all the dust you shouldn't change lenses in the field.

Thanks again,

Marsha

Harry Behret wrote:

mfouks wrote:

You make an excellent point discussing the redundancy.  Not sure if using the 2X extender on the 70-200 would degrade the picture quality more than using the 80-400 with no extender though.  I am leaning towards using the 300 2.8 with an teleconverter for one camera and just having the 70-200 with no teleconverter on the second camera.   I have heard that the 200-400 does not take teleconverters well but you may have had a different experience.   You also make a good point about the low light performance of the ff.  Lots to think about.

I'm very excited about going.

thanks again for your comments.

Marsha

I used the 70-200 with the 2.0 TC on my last trip to Kenya with excellent results. You can see them on my site http://behret.smugmug.com/Travel

I used the 1.4 on the 200-400 regularly again with good results. I would estimate that 85% of my captures were at focal lengths of 400mm or less.

Harry

-- hide signature --

http://behret.smugmug.com
'if you ain't having fun, you ain't doing it right'

mfouks's gear list:mfouks's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow