Started Apr 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
007peter
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,942Gear list
Like?
[Jorginho] AMD Supporter + Consumer Sales Experience
In reply to Jorginho, Apr 13, 2013

Jorginho wrote:

007peter wrote: You are blaming the wrong person:

• Salesman are happy to sell you any camera you want (dslr, nex, m43) so long as he/she get the commission
  • The blame lies with the consumer themselves who has a habit of buying what the pro use.  How often have we hear something like this:
  • I used to sell Tennis Rackets when I was young.  Everybody want to buy a tennis racket that that professional use, which are the worst choice for beginner without skills.  I often tell them that professional have a different need than a beginner, but I can't sell a tennis racket that way.

I had a computershop for 13 years I was different, but also it was difficult. I tried to sell AMD processors, which was easy with the Dx40. No one knew waht brand it was and it was very popular. Until Intel was so smart to come wit their Intel Inside logo. People became aware of what was in it. And Intel was deliveringbetter quality. Like their DX4-100 was 16 kb cahce instead of AMDs 8 kb. Still, I liked competition a whole lot and and with the K6 and on I really tried to sell them where appropriate.

Glad to meet a fellow AMD supporter.  I remember the superior+cheaper AMD dx2-66, and its overclock dx2-80 fondly.  I had a DX4-100 that was almost as fast an overprice Intel Pentium back in the day.  I upraded to a K(6), then to a K(6)3DNOW, then to Athlon 850, and several Athlon XP's.  Then I switch to Intel for its dual core 805d, now back to an 6yrs old AMD 64X2 5000+ overclock.  X2 is still very fast for today's application, I might upgrade to an AMD X6 Phenom sometimes this year.  I'm an AMD guy all the way

The result was people reconsidering but not immediately buying the PC. And half of the time, they went to another shop that told them what thye liked to hear (Intel is better, period) and bought that one. to me, at the vey basis it was because of Intels good move to make people asware AND to deliver high quality products..

My own selling experience is the same, they is why I said "the blame lies with the consumer, not the sales person."  The truth most consumer come to a store with a heavy dose of preconceived notion of which brand is superior (a dslr is superior to mirrorless, Intel is better than AMD, etc..)

Consumer don't want to hear the truth, they only want you to reconfirmed their brand biases.  Telling a consumer the truth: (amd was superior to intel, mirrorless can be just as good as dslr, and Wilson ProStaff 85 is the wrong racket for you), and you risk losing your sales/commission.

Over the years, I have the learned the hard way. Consumer prefer lies+marketing.  They value they rumor of what their neighbor bought (like sheeps) more than independent research/benchmarks.  If they believed a $300 Wilson Prostaff 85 is the best racket in the world, don't argue, and tell them exactly what they want to hear.

****** Using Cellphone as an more modern day example ******

Consumer comes into the store with a set preconceived notion that:

• Apple is the Best, Steve Job is GOD, and Iphone is the best cellphone on earth
  • Samsung is the Best, Google is GOD, and Samsung is the best cellphone

You cannot sell an Iphone to an Android Geeks, nor can you sell a Samsung to an Apple Fanboys.  Salesman do not have the power to change a consumer's mind.  Rather consumer already has their mind made up.

Your job as a salesman is to identify if a consumer is an Apple Fanboy or an Android Geek, and proceed to sale him/her on their own brand biases.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
YeahNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow