Started Apr 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
aljudy
Contributing MemberPosts: 505Gear list
Like?
Re: Off Topic : what B&W does.
In reply to RoelHendrickx, Apr 13, 2013

RoelHendrickx wrote:

aljudy wrote:

You are obviously fascinated (passionately about) B&W photography. While my post is not related to your wonderful post about DOF, I would like to hear your reasons for this B&W focus that I see in your Flickr photos, and what is it about B&W vs color that makes you choose B&W apparently all the time. Have you considered the Monochrome camera by Leica?  Al

I hope that Al-in-Philly answers your question.

it is always interesting to read a person's motivation for B&W (apart from the obvious reason that it looks classy, classic and cerebrally cultural - which BTW is a valid reason...).

Looking at the shots in the OP, for me the reasons for B&W are obvious: having no colour helps (with the shallow DOF) to make the in-focus subject stand out from the background, in almost all images, because potentially distracting bright or contrasting colours are cancelled out.

Plus, obviously, B&W makes textures stand out, while in colour, the colour information dominates our vision.

This photo of mine would not have been the same in colour, because the patterns are the most important thing.  The colour scheme of the coat is a bit different from the colour scheme of the chairs (true black and true white versus a shade of beige on very dark brown).  Only in B&W can I enhance the impression of the woman being an urban chameleon :

link in case embedding is screwed up again: http://roelh.zenfolio.com/p187119431/h514be762#h514be762

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

Thanks for your explanation Roel; I learned from it. I also think your photo clearly shows why sometimes B&W is the right color to use...  Al

-- hide signature --

Amateur Photographer of family mainly

aljudy's gear list:aljudy's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow