Started Apr 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
panolympus
Regular MemberPosts: 169Gear list
Like?
Re: Not that Black Magic Cinema Camera, the BM Pocket Cinema Camera
In reply to marike6, Apr 13, 2013

marike6 wrote:

panolympus wrote:

Oh, you mean that lunch box that can mount a lens? Actually, I hear good things about the BM but it's a real beast of a camera. Unless I was shooting for professional reasons, I would stick with a GHx. Yuck.

The OP is not talking about the Black Magic Cinema Camera, but the newly announced Pocket Cinema camera from the same vendor.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/04/08/Blackmagic-Design-Pocket-Cinema-Camera-1080-Raw-ProRes-CinemaDNG-Micro-Four-Thirds

I looks superb.  The only problems I see for the OP is getting his hands on one will be extremely difficult.  I'm guessing this new Black Magic Pocket camera will have a waiting list of pre-orders at least 6 months (or more) deep.

As far as the Pocket Camera vs the GH3, obviously the Pocket Camera that outputs 1080p24 in 10-bit 4:2:2 ProRes is going to be a wonderful camera to work with with IQ that exceeds what is possible with a GH3.  On the other hand, a GH3 is a excellent all-around shooter, with OMD-level still IQ and superb 1080p60 AVCHD video.

Carrying two devices is never fun, but I agree that the new Black Magic Pocket Cinema camera looks awesome.  If it has anywhere near the IQ if the BMCC, it's going to be a huge hit.

Wow, that's insane! 220 mb/s video? 4k resolution? Dynamic range of 13 stops? That's tops anything out there at this price range by far. What some people will need to factor into the price is a computer comparable to work with the files this camera can produce. Time to get out the calculator again.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow